Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day, 2007

It is a nice quiet day at home here. Catching up on the wash, cleaning out the office, finding a place for all the school "stuff" that I toted home Thursday. My kids are going to their Dad's today. I hope that it is a good day for him - he is a good dad (better dad than husband, but we won't go there!)

I've been thinking about dads a lot lately. My XH's dad died last month at the age of 88. He was ready - was just a shell of himself, faded fast. I went to the hospital to see him one last time. I don't think he knew I was there, but it made me feel better. At his memorial, XH gave a nice tribute to him, said that his dad knew how to do everything. (I agree) He was a good guy.

My dad has been gone almost 21 years now. That is hard to believe. If Bob's dad knew everything, mine taught him everything he knew. The man could remodel houses, fix cars, refinish furniture, grew beautiuful roses and wonderful tomatoes. Of the five of us kids - 3 boys and 2 girls, my older sister is the one who seems to have inherited my dad's genes. She is my go-to person for advice on all things needing fixing these days.

My kids are lucky to have their dad still here and involved in their lives. He is their go-to guy when they have car issues, the disposal doesn't work, or something needs fixed. Wishing them many more years of that comfort - a dad who knows everything.

No comments: