Sunday, June 10, 2007

Sunday before Summer

I am JAZZED! Only four days left in the school year. I took my coffee and paper out on the patio this morning and thought about how close those 8 precious weeks are. This has been a hard year in the classroom - they come to all of us here and there - something in the water that year. I had (have) a class of mostly boys and the energy level is off the charts. I love the cozy, nurturing, easy loving part of teaching 6 year olds - but this year I felt as if I could never let my guard down with them. They seized on such moments and ran with them (along with several subs who would not return to my classroom.)

Since I have found myself a singleton a few years back and realized that I would be working well into my twilight years, I have been grateful that I love my job and the kids. It has always been a joy (the classroom part - not the paperwork/district/administrative side of it). I have felt (since I came back to the teaching fold later in life in my mid-forties) that my attitude in the classroom was better than it might have been if I'd been doing it steadily since graduating from Clarion State Teacher's College in 1972. After this year - I am hoping that it was just that - a tough year. No more, no less. I am hoping that next year's class will let me be my warm and Mama Bear self - and I am exceedingly grateful that school is almost over.

No comments: