Saturday, June 30, 2007

My Kids



I have three boys. I am the sort of mom who loved every minute of my pregnancies (OK - no one enjoys every minute!), loved their infancy, toddlerhood was just a blur (thank God). When my boys were school age, I did it all - Cub Scout leader, room mom, Sunday School teacher, PTA president, band booster extrordinaire - made all of their birthday cakes and most of their Halloween costumes. I taught fulltime before Rob's birth - then went on a maternity leave that somehow stretched from 1976-1991. Clearly, I have enjoyed every moment of being a mom.

I suffered severe pangs when Rob went to college in in L.A. 1994 and Randy followed him 3 years later. Ryan stayed with me a little longer, but when he left the nest, it was for another WOMAN! :) The woman I knew as mom was losing her raison d'etre.

Well, a few years down the line - what I have discovered is that the best years of being a mom are right now. My boys are wickedly funny - smart and good looking. I enjoy being around them more all the time. I look to them for advice - from things technical to things careerwise. Ryan has given me my first daughter (in law, but that's just a formality). Lisa is my shopping buddy - we share a love of makeup and all things girlie. Rob is giving us Katie in December - can't wait to welcome her into our family! Katie is a doctor - smart, pretty - and the best part about her is that she loves my son even more than I do. They all have so much going in the right direction. I am proud of them all - my 3 sons and 2 daughters. (and Randy is a real catch if anyone knows a nice girl.) Grownup kids are wonderfully, surprisingly the best (but I can't WAIT for grandchildren!)

No comments: